When planning your trip to Zambia and it’s beautiful parks and wildlife hotspots, it’s important to consider the seasons to ensure you get the most out of your trip. Game spotting is at its best in the drier months, when foliage is sparse and animals gather around diminishing water sources, yet in the wetter months the landscape is lush and an abundance of migratory birds are an absolute delight to behold.
The climate in the capital, Lusaka, is representative of the climate found in the higher areas of central and southern Zambia, such as Kafue National Park. South Luangwa and the Lower Zambezi National Parks are located in lower-lying valleys and follow similar weather patterns, but are considerably hotter. Temperatures increase by about 6°C for every 1000m you descend (or 3.5°F per 1000ft).
Zambia, situated in the tropics, receives good rainfall, and has a dry season from May to the end of October and a wet season from November to April. During this wet season, many areas become largely inaccessible by vehicle, and most camps in these areas close down. The higher areas in the East generally receive more rain than western and lowland areas.
The Dry Season (May – Oct) ~ Winter
This can be divided into the cool dry season (May to August) and the hot dry season (September and October).
- Days are bright and filled with sunshine.
- Wildlife will congregate around waterholes when other water resources become scarce.
- The chances for malaria are lower since there are fewer mosquitos.
- Humidity is at its low point, making the heat less bothersome (except in October).
- Warm clothing is recommended for early morning game drives, which can be cold.
The Wet Season (Nov – April) ~ Summer
- The landscape is lush and green.
- A time for new-born animals
- With the appearance of migratory birds, birdwatching is at its best.
- Game viewing is not as good as during the dry season as the foliage is thicker and water more abundant
- Some roads become muddy and hard to drive on.
- The heat and humidity can be intense
High tourist season: June – October
Low season: January – June
Best weather: April – September
Less-favourable weather: October – Feb (humid & rainy)
Highest rainfall: Dec/January
Best time for game watching: June – October
Best time for bird watching: Excellent year round but particularly rewarding from December to April.
Best time for tiger fishing: Sep – mid November